This past weekend Alec and I decided that we needed to get out of town. We figured it was a good weekend to go to Yosemite (not to cold yet). So we left on Friday afternoon. We got to the park at like 6 and right as we pulled into the park, it started SNOWING! We were like excited, but I was a bit nervous about sleeping in the snow in our little tent:).

Here is Alec loving the snow!! He was so excited, he was like a little boy on Christmas day!!!

We did not even notice the mountains when we first drove in because of the snow. Then out of nowhere we saw these. The mountains are so majestic!!

After finally making it up to our campsite we, well I guess Alec had to set up camp. It was super cold!!! Our campsite was at like 5000+ feet and FREEZING!!! Notice Alec's flip-flops!! We had looked at the weather earlier on in the week and it was in the 80's, so we brought clothes for warmer weather. Alec was lucky he had a second sweatshirt in the car. We could have used our ski gloves, ski pants, and most of all a ski hat. It was ok though, we made it through the night! We woke up to 21 degrees and frost on the inside of our tent.

We were planning on hiking Half dome, but when it snowed, we decided against it. We did not want to wake up at 4 in morning to do the hike and then get to the dome and not be able to get to the top because the cables were frozen. So instead we did a hike to two water falls. Now call me crazy and out of shape, but I thought I was going to die. It makes me so mad that altitude gets me now. I was gasping for air, complaining of a headache and thought I was going to throw up...... what have I become!:) I need to go back to my roots and get used to the altitude again!:) This was the first waterfall we hiked to. It was so beautiful. It made the 600 + steps worth it to get above it. There was a beautiful pool like area right below it. I was thankful that the water was colder than anything we have ever touched so Alec's desire to jump in diminished quit rapidly after he touched it!!!! We ended up hiking about 10 miles in all and I tell you our feet were feeling it at the end of the day!

This was the second water fall we hiked to. It was beautiful up there!!! It was quite a hike to the top of this one as well. All we needed was our rock climbing gear to make it better. Wow it was steep and rocky (honestly I would have never done rock climbing up here, or anywhere for that matter, but it would have made things easier:)).

Alec just hanging off the edge. This was the top of the second falls. It was so pretty! It was really, really cold up there though. The clouds started moving back in and they did not look forgiving and so I was encouraging Alec to run with me down the mountain, so we did not get stuck in the ominous snow storm:).

Just enjoying the top and getting ready to head back down to a warm car and food!!!:)

As we were driving out we had to stop and get one last picture. The sunset was so pretty!! It reminded me of the Utah and Idaho sunsets with the purple sky. I know this picture does not do it justice!!!
2 comments:
That looks beautiful and FREEZING! Brrr. . .
I'm glad you guys didn't freeze to death.
do you people ever STOP going? i love it. hope we can see you during the holidays
Post a Comment