5.02.2010

"Holy Buckets" aka where gonna die!

Back in April, my Dad, Mike, Alec, and I decided to head down to Moab for a quick bike ride. Mike and my Dad bought new bikes and so they felt the Slick Rock trail was the trail to try them out on. We left in the afternoon Friday. After pulling in to Moab, finding a camp spot, and setting up the tent, we decided to go walk around and grab some dinner. It was a pretty nice night out! We went over to a Diner for dinner. It was OK food, my dad got the salad and look what he got! It was like a whole farm on his plate:). The ice cream was delicious too. After dinner we went back and had a camp fire and just chatted till we all felt tired enough and ready to go to sleep.




We woke up fairly early on Sat to go grab some breakfast and then get up to the trail. Alec felt it was a little to early (we need him on more trips with my family:)). While waiting a little for Alec to move, my dad, Mike and I went on a walk to find some sun. It was chilly! For breakfast we went and grabbed some grub from the pancake house. I decided to get the grand old pancakes to serve as my fuel for our bike ride. It was yummy!!! My Dad got some fruit, which added to his farm from the night before. They gave him a whole lot of fruit.
We then headed up to the trail. I was getting pretty nervous never having done this before and also it being our first ride of the season. There were already people finishing the ride at 10:30 when we were getting our bikes off the car. I was wishing I was them and was already done:). The ride ended up being pretty fun... crazy but fun! All of us decided to go over our handle bars or end on the ground in some uncomfortable position except Alec. I was very glad he did not fall, after a broken back at the beginning of the year and a broken toe on our cruise, I was done with broken bones for Alec!!!
The saying of the day was by my dad "Holy Buckets". As we would come up to hills or what not you would hear him be like "Holy Buckets". It was super funny! By the end I thought I was going to die. My legs were D-O-N-E. They were cramping and just done. When we finally made it to the car I could not have been happier. It was super fun and I would do it again, but I was sure glad to be done when we were!!!








So when we were almost done I decided to get a flat... yep best timing ever huh!:) We brought a pump which we thought was awesome because it was compact and fit on our bike, well after pumping... pumping... and pumping some more, we realized our awesome purchase was not so awesome. A nice guy from a scout group gave us a patch and then another good Samaritan let us use his awesome (and it really was awesome) pump. So while Alec and my dad were working on the bike, and I was sitting on my butt wishing this bad dream (JK) was over, Mike was going up and down one of the steepest hills of the day.... just for fun. I love biking, but being at the end of slick rock, I was doing no hills just for fun. He is a mountain goat, and a crazy one at that!!!:)



So after our bike ride, we decided (I guess my dad and I decided) to go to Arches and go on a small hike. Well, after a long day of biking we were all pretty exhausted, but we were so close and I did not want to miss out on something. I was not the every one's favorite person.... to put it mildly!:) It was worth it though. The arch was awesome!!!



Overall we had an awesome time and look forward to going up a few more times this summer!

No comments: