9.13.2010

Redrock Relay!

After Alec and I finished the Ragnar in June, we came home and were so excited about it, we talked my siblings into getting a team together for the Red Rock.  So this past weekend we headed down to Southern Utah to do the Red Rock Relay.  It was a blast!!  We left Thurs after a crazy day to try and make it by 9:00 for check-in in Cedar City.  The check-in was crazy, there were people everywhere.  It was fun to see and feel all the excitement from everyone for the next day's race.
We ate a yummy dinner, got all our swag and then headed back to Parawan to find a place to sleep.  Yes, I said find a place to sleep.  We were all pretty cheap on our team, so everyone decided that we did not want to get any hotel rooms.  We were just going to find a place to camp basically.  Well, we got to Parawan at like 10ish, and we were off to find a park or a church to sleep at.  We almost broke down and got a hotel room, but we decided to rough it at a park in Parawan.  It ended up being a pretty funny night.  We all got our stuff together and just laughed at what we were doing.  The other van got there at like one full of the BYU boys and then our last bunch of team members got in at about 2ish.  We had a great time fighting the sprinklers over night.  It was super funny!
We woke up at about 6 on Friday to get ready and head up to Brian Head for our first runner.  Brian Head was freezing!!!!!!! 



We all decided to head up to the top with Ash to cheer her on at the beginning of the run.  The lift was super cold.  I don't think I have even been that cold in the winter when we are skiing!:)







Hmmm, who is more flexible?????  Well Mike, I think you have that one won!:)



The scenery was breathtaking!!  We ran from Brian Head to St George through some of the most gorgeous country!



So after each leg you put a black mark on your leg.  So once you had done all three legs you would have three black marks.  Here is the first van after their first leg.  They did an AWESOME job on their runs we were super impressed!



Our second runs for our van were our night runs, while the second runs for the other van where their third legs.  The night run is my favorite!  You just get in a groove.  Again it was real cold.  I was shivering for my first mile and a half.  




After their second leg.
After our second legs we headed to the Washington Rec center and tried to get some sleep.  None of us were feeling too hot, so sleeping was pretty hard.  We were all worried that we would not be able to complete our last legs.... we were exhausted!!
We all did it though, and had a great time.  I have NEVER been that tired in my entire life, I had nothing left in me when I was done!









We all had such a great time though.  We ended up doing it way faster than we anticipated, in fact they made us stop twice for an hour each time because we were ahead of schedule, it was pretty funny, but partly frustrating just because we were working our tails off!  Everyone did awesome, but I think our MVP's were Mark and my Dad for joining the team the  day before we ran!!!!!!  They ROCKED it too!

Well, who wants to do another relay.  We found one that goes from Logan to Jackson next August..... any takers?????:)

6 comments:

Krystal said...

You guys are awesome- we're looking for a job right now and if we end up out west, maybe we'll join you in August!

Nicole and Andy said...

That is awesome! It looks like a great one. We've done Wasatch Back a few times, and you get me excited to try a different one! Glad you're doing so well.

The Caldwells said...

I'm jealous - looks like you guys had a great time. can we please get together?

Kari said...

Way to go! That sounds like so much fun.

Nicole and Andy said...

Emily! Are you coming to my house on WEd???

Ashley said...

Awesome! Gotta love the family experience. I want to do that race now too! I loved Ragnar (Wasatch Back) in June so much that I wanted to do another of course. I found out about a relay from Logan to Jackson. Holy Cow! Em, I am going to message ya! You gotta do Epic with me, on my team or not. I am putting a team together and am so excited!